Seilschaft
1282 Mitglieder
Das Thema ist für dich interessant? Jetzt JOYclub entdecken

Schreiben über Juteseile

Profilbild
****shi Mann
214 Beiträge
Schreiben über Juteseile
Ich bitte um Entschuldigung, dass das Folgende auf Englisch ist. Es ist für mich schwierig zu übersetzen. Sie möchten vielleicht https://www.deepl.com benutzen.

Descending Mount Stupid

At the end of the 1990s, two psychologists, David Dunning and Justin Kruger published their findings on the objective evaluation of competence and incompetence, or cognitive bias of illusory superiority – the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability, and awarded a Nobel Prize for their work.

This gave us in graphical terms what is known as the Kruger-Dunning curve, where with very little knowledge and/or experience individuals will rush to a perceived peak of self-acknowledged ability, before better information faces them with a dilemma: attempt to bluster your way through your ignorance, ending up looking a complete fool, or admit your error, correct yourself, realize there’s far more to discover than you can possibly ever know, and reset your opinion of your abilities. In subsequent interpretations this peak has been referred to as Mount Stupid.

Most of us have scaled it. I’ve planted my flag at the summit. We take snippets of information and arrogantly roll them up into the findings we want them to be without them actually being factual. After crashing down my descent to the valley of despair, I hope I’m now tentatively hiking up the slope of enlightenment, aiming to reach the plateau of sustainability.

When I wrote Year of The Bakushi during 2014-5, I was armed with only so much information. It’s now accepted to be limited, and more knowledge is out there to be gleaned. But in making and owning up to mistakes, our objectivity begins to improve. Rather than get into endless observations on some of the more ridiculous assumptions we might view on an almost daily basis in the wider scene on what is or is not bondage in Japan and how they execute it, I wanted to restrict this writing to only jute rope.

Clearly, there are things that I do know. I have rock–solid evidence. But also, there are things where I only have limited information. To help me, I’ve courted the advice of an Indian university specializing in jute production, the National Jute Laboratory of Bangladesh, jute agents, yarn mills, jute rope manufacturers in Bangladesh, China, Germany, India and Japan, historical experts in The Netherlands and Japan, and the Meiji University Museum, Tokyo. This is what I have understood so far:

The conditions for growing jute are very particular. 98% of the world’s jute is grown in the Ganges delta in Bengal due to the temperature, oxygenation and irrigation into the soil. This ranges from clayish to sandy, affecting fiber quality. Small quantities of jute were historically cultivated in Kyushu, Japan for making hand-twisted cannon fuses. There is zero evidence of any rope production.

3.9 million tonnes of jute was cropped in 2019. 15,000 tonnes of yarn spun per day. An estimated 140 tonnes was made into rope, with the prime application due to excellent biodegradeability. The major jute markets are for sacking, carpet backing and Hessian cloth.

Jute was commercialized by the British East India Company from 1690. In 1833 Thomas Neigh patented whale oil batching and spinning and industrialization turned Dundee, Scotland into Juteopolis. By the 1890s so much spinning machinery had been exported to Bengal that Dundee manufacturing collapsed. Interacting with jute rope manufacturing in Germany or Japan today, you will hear English and Bengali terminology, and they’ll be using British Imperial measurements.

It is highly unlikely jute rope would have entered Japan during the 265–year Tokugawa jidai. It appears from research that during the Edo period, peasants would have been restrained with rough reed–grass Aranawa, and nobility with Tochigi Prefecture–grown nettle ramie (which the Japanese confusingly called ‘silk’). Ramie appears to have become obsolete since World War II because it is very labor intensive to process the fibers, so expected salaries cannot be maintained.

If one looks to the images of Ito Seiu, or submissions to Kitan Club (1946–75), we see everything used for restraint: metal chains, magnetic tape, Obi belts, curtain sashes, ribbon, Aranawa, and cotton, linen, Manila, polymers, ramie, sisal rope, etc. of ø4 to ø12mm in diameter, sometimes mixed, and of wildly varying lengths. On careful analysis, none are jute, or for that matter hemp, which I’ve personally never come across in all my visits to Japan.

As far as research shows, it was probably Suma (Minomura Kou) and Nureki who introduced jute as a bondage rope during the 1980s while investigating better materials. Before, it was common to find media by Kinbakushi commonly using cotton, which still purveys to a certain extent in the Japanese scene even today. Jute has become predominant. I believe because it is the nicest and most applicable to use for our purposes.

Written Japanese is logographical, and its meaning highly contextual. It is unlike our simple western alphabets. Often, our false translation is the tool that helps us scale Mount Stupid. Asa (麻) is a general term covering multiple bast fibers (hemp, linen/flax and/or jute), and/or the hemp plant, and/or cannabis (Cannabis sativa). Ergo, Asanawa can be rope made from either hemp, linen or jute – the olitorius Tossa, or the capsularis white corchorus variety.

A few years ago, I was under the impression at least two Japanese factories actually manufactured jute rope. I have subsequently discovered they sub–contract to cheaper sources abroad and add mark–up. All over Japan, high street general rope vendors sell jute rope. They are not the manufacturers.

Jute is a difficult material to twist into rope due to its delicacy. Very little traditional machinery escaped the scrap heap during the modernisation since the 1950s. Current manufacturing systems can be aggressive, leading to minor faults and flaws.

Fiber quality, batching oil content and twist dynamics are highly variable by batch and require stringent quality control. This is relatively unimportant in general industrial biodegradeable jute rope. If one purchases rope over many production batches from multiple manufacturers and/or retail outlets in Japan over several years, one will see these variations. This makes it impossible to match requirements unless one knows from which batch the comparison is being taken.

Finally, some concerning news. We’re hearing global reports to expect significant supply problems for the foreseeable future. We are informed this is due to the COVID-19 crisis arriving just before this season’s jute planting, growers, kutcha, mills and factories under lockdowns and more powerful sacking, carpet backing and Hessian procurers fighting for stock.

Best respects,
Sin
me
*******ial Mann
87 Beiträge
Hey,
it‘s always funny to read your well written and nicely investigated texts. Thanx for this interresting insight.
And thanx for your words about mount stupid, as this concept really makes sense in all our lives.
See ya
*****mon Mann
107 Beiträge
and awarded a Nobel Prize for their work.

Nicht wirklich. Für Dunning und Kruger gab es für die Arbeit den Satire "Nobelpreis"...
*****olf Mann
1.752 Beiträge
Zitat von *****mon:
and awarded a Nobel Prize for their work.

Nicht wirklich. Für Dunning und Kruger gab es für die Arbeit den Satire "Nobelpreis"...

Da soll aber die Party mehr Spass machen... *zwinker*
Profilbild
****shi Mann
214 Beiträge
Descending Mount Stupid (continued)

Through ongoing discussions with one of the largest, oldest and most established rope and cable producing corporations in Japan, where I have years of association, I asked them to check into their historical records and report on certain rope types. After extensive investigations, this is what I have as of today:

Reconfirmed (from a manufacturer perspective) that jute was grown in relatively (undocumented) small amounts in Kyushu. No evidence of rope manufacturing.

Hemp was historically grown in Tochigi, Nagano, Iwate and Fukushima. There are no records of quantities grown, but nearly all product was consumed by Shinto Jinja shrines for, predominantly decoration. There is historical evidence of hemp having a ‘spiritual’/‘indigenous religion’ theme connected to its psychoactive properties. Even so, at its peak, less than 10% crop was being made to, again, predominantly decorative rope.

Today, over 70 years since the (US)SCAP ban, around 40 small farmers grow hemp on approximately 5 hectares under strict Japanese government license for research purposes.

Flax was historically grown in Hokkaido for linen products. There aren’t any figures and no evidence of any rope production.

Earliest evidence for jute and hemp rope production in Japan began with Army mechanisation during the Russo-Japanese War in 1905 and extended at the beginning of World War I in 1914. Contrary to World War II, Japan was on the Allied side, and could procure jute yarns from British India.

It is logical to assume that jute yarn supplies stopped completely with Japan’s entry into World War II on the Axis side in 1941.

Before 1905 all rope production in Japan was by hand or simple manually twisting machinery.

The total decline of ramie rope production in Japan is reconfirmed. It may still be possible to procure from China, but expected to be expensive.

S
Anmelden und mitreden
Du willst mitdiskutieren?
Werde kostenlos Mitglied, um mit anderen über heiße Themen zu diskutieren oder deine eigene Frage zu stellen.